Posted by Mark Figula on February 27, 2011 at 2:57 AM
By "The Mouth," Rogue MMA Commentator
While it may not have been as good, nor as hyped as a vegemite sandwich, we all got treated to the 127th installation of UFC pay per view events this fine night (or afternoon if you're an Aussie). And after much talk, some not so favorable gambling lines, and man in a mask, here are the lessons we learned from the Land Down Under:
- Kyle Noke wins by rnc in round 1: When a fighter comes into the ring wearing a gas mask, is he stating that he is going to stink or his opponent stinks? Kyle Noke answered that question right quickly when he use Chris Comizzi as a grappling dummy, sprinting around him until he took his back and choked him like the gas mask wearing freak that he was.
- Brian Ebersole wins by decision: No matter how much of a tool you must be to shave your chest hair into an arrow pointing at your goofy head, Brian Ebersole proved that unorthodox fighters still stand a chance. After three rounds, two of which included attempted Capoeira kicks, Ebersole scored a decision victory over the ring savvy Chris Lytle. When interviewed after the fight, Lytle could be seen sporting a thought bubble over his bruised noggin' that said, "I wonder if he learned those kicks from Stevan Seagal?" Perhaps he should have figured out how to make the guillotine work against the floppy towel defense instead?
- Denis Siver wins by decision: For all the love George Sotiropoulos was receiving from the homegrown fans, it could not be enough to inspire a much needed takedown against the powerful German striker, Siver. For three rounds we watched as George tried to work a single leg takedown and got pounded for his trouble. There was a HUGE lesson in this fight... LEARN TAKEDOWNS! If you want to fight on the ground at the UFC level, learn some damn wrestling. The BJJ 101 takedowns are not going to do it. Had George tried to copy a guy like GSP and drove some takedowns through his opponent, he might have not sent 20,000 Aussie's home sobbing.
- Michael Bisping wins by TKO in round2: Hey Jorge! All the stupid videos in the world won't anger your opponent enough to make him flail wildly at you. It will, however cause him to nail you with an illegal knee to the noggin' while you're on all fours. To Jorge's credit, he seemed to recover well from the knee and came out in round two on the balls of his feet, ready to go. Unfortunately he was rewarded with a right hook beatdown that led to a ref stoppage.
- BJ Penn and Jon Fitch fight to a majority draw: Yes folks, another draw! If it had felt as close as the last one, perhaps no one would mind. This fight was a story of rounds though and, as usual, BJ looked great in the beginning and faded as it progressed. Some surprises included BJ sporting new wrestling skills and getting takedowns against the wrestling equipped Fitch. He even took the scruffy welterweight's back a couple times, but he couldn't finish the deed and in round three he ended up on how own back with Fitch bouncing punches off his face the entire round. No one in the arena, not even BJ could have thought he would have made it through another round if there was one. Lesson learned? 90 grams of soy protein beats 90 grams of weed every time in a fight!
What happens now? Probably a BJ - Fitch rematch and maybe as a five rounder (starting a new wave of 5 round non-title main events?). For Dennis Siver's part in tonight's fistivities (no that is not a spelling error! I am coining that word!) he will likely get into the title picture. For the UFC newcomer, Brian Ebersole, he will get a step up in competition and - on could hope - a better chest hair fashion consultant.
So say The Mouth!
"The Mouth" is just a dude with an opinion and "The Web" is just a place where he thinks anyone actually wants to hear it.